Tuesday 17 December 2013

Day 33: Resistance to writing

Doing my daily blogs has been quite challenging in the sense that I find that I have this procrastinating behavior where I tell myself that I will blog shortly but never really push myself to do it. Therefore, I
decided to write about this point which I am sure a lot of us face at least in the beginning stages of
writing.

It is amazing how powerful our minds have become in that whenever we want to change something, like a certain personality trait or behavior, our mind does everything in its power to just stop us from doing so. We end up developing this form of energetic resistance which usually creates a lazy character and then entails some form of energetic reaction such as guilt or shame.

I found for myself that there are 2 instances where I want to do something to break my habits but I find it hard to maintain that. First would be to go out for daily walks and second would be for blogging. The weird thing that I noticed is that I never thought of myself as a procrastinator. For instance, I know in high school towards my final years, I would actually do homework the same day it was assigned. Therefore, I thought I was on the right track in assuming 100% responsibility and not leaving things for the very last minute.

Yet, this has not been the case with my  journey to life blogs. Breaking out of patterns to create new ones requires persistence and effort. That has a lot to do with our cognition, in other words the way our neurons work. Forming new habits means forming new neurons and that can only be accomplished with complete dedication and persistence.


I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to experience resistance to writing.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to create a lazy character as a result of not writing

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to create a procrastinating character as a result of not writing.

When and as I see myself wanting to postpone my writing, I pause and I breathe. I tell myself that by doing so I allowing myself to create more friction via resistance. I therefore commit to ensuring I write on a regular basis and not spontaneously or whenever I feel like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment